Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Richard III Art Gallery


My second goal for Richard III was to create an Art Gallery based on my experience reading it. So here it is! Each picture has a link to where I found it, and a caption briefly explaining my thought process behind it.


This was my favorite painting that I found of Richard III. I really like how it captures his expression immediately after his dream of all the ghosts of his victims gives his conscience a little kick in the pants; seeing him wrestling with that was one of the things that made him seem most real and human, while most of the play, he is very hard to read into.




This one is kinda creepy to me, maybe because of his expression, but also because he's playing with his little ring there... That might sound a little strange, but I guess it makes him look both very normal, and at the same time like he has evil plots working in the back of his mind.


I liked that this was a little bit different kind of art (ice sculpture), which allows for a little bit better expression of things such as Richard's physical deformity.


I thought this one was very expressive, and captured the inner vs. the outer man visually in a way I thought was really cool. 


This is actually the cover to a book version of the play, but I really liked the artistic style, with this beautiful flower surrounded by mud and nastiness, being uprooted by the boar (Richard).


Artistically, this was probably not my favorite, but I like how it expresses Richard's acts coming back to haunt him, and sword (his usual method of coping with things) being suddenly useless and ineffective against them

These two are photographs of different adaptations of the play, and I thought it was cool to look at the kind of people cast as Richard, their costumes, how deformed they chose to make him, and the expressions of each actor trying to portray who Richard is.


This one is a little more "traditional" looking, but I liked the unhappy expression on his face. It portrays him in kingly clothes, which suggests that it was after he'd gotten what he was after, and yet, he just looks so miserable. Very fitting, and telling.