Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Shakespeare and Creative Writing: My Revised Plan

So... thus far, I have found myself really floundering with my direction on this research project. I was having trouble finding sources, and the little I did find left me with very little interest, or drive to really go anywhere with it.

As a result, I have decided to revise my focus a little bit, and make it more structured. My new idea is, rather than trying to scrape up Shakespeare’s own opinions on writing, I would like to study out how his work has been used specifically in the teaching of Creative Writing in various contexts.

I was looking at some of my peers’ blogs and found a post by Joanna Barker (which, interestingly enough, was inspired by another class member’s blog; yay for social learning!). She had decided to map out the rest of the semester with her study/research plan, much like we did with the first half of the semester’s reading plan. That had helped me a lot during those weeks, so the light bulb turned on and I decided to map out my plan for the rest of the semester. I’m hoping that this will both keep me on track as far as pace, and also give a lot better structure to my research.

Here is my plan to have done and blogged about by each class day:
  • Fri. Mar. 11: Timeline of the teaching of Creative Writing, and how it relates to modern teaching of Creative Writing
  • Mon. Mar. 14: Go through and note the use of Shakespeare throughout the timeline
  • Wed. Mar. 16: Learn more in-depth about current teaching of Creative Writing, what methods are used, etc.
  • Fri. Mar. 18: Study the use of Shakespeare in teaching writing skills/methods
  • Mon. Mar. 21: Study the use of Shakespeare in teaching the creative process
  • Wed. Mar. 23: Study the use of Shakespeare in teaching outcome goals of creative writing
  • Fri. Mar. 24: Study the use of Shakespeare in teaching literary ideals, or what makes good writing
  • Mon. Mar. 28: Sift through and decide which of those uses I agree with or think is valuable, and why
  • Wed. Mar. 30: Arrange for a few interviews (over email or in person) with teachers of Creative Writing at BYU, and write my interview questions (this I will try to start in earlier weeks, but have finalized by this date)
  • Fri. Apr. 1: Hopefully have said interviews completed, and compile results
  • Mon. Apr 4: Analysis of my results, and how they match up or don’t match up with my previous research
  • Wed. Apr 6: Design an outline of my own Creative Writing course, based around how I would use Shakespeare for each genre
  • Fri. Apr. 8: Finish/refine my course outline ideas

The week of the 11th to the 13th I am leaving for the finalizing, refining, and finishing of my research project, with guidance from Dr. Burton.

*If any of you have any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas about this plan (what you think will work well, what I should possibly reconsider, etc.) I would love to hear them. Thank you!!